In continuing with the Pom Pom Critter Enrichment at work, I have created cute little mice. This creation is more involved than Mike Wazowski, but totally worth it. Not only do the kids get to make something cute that they can play with, but these kinds of activities also allow the kids to practice necessary skills they learn in elementary school; simple skills such as paying attention, following directions, and counting.
(Please Note-All of the pom poms, except for the pink nose, should be the same color)
1 2″ pom pom 1 1″ pom pom
2 3/4″ pom poms 1 1/2″ pom pom
1 TINY pink pom pom 2 googly eyes
small piece of pink felt tacky glue
6″ a pipe cleaner (in a color that compliments the pom poms)
1) Glue the 2″ pom pom to the 1″ pom pom (Remember to count to 30 after each step to ensure it sticks while you continue working)
2) Glue the 2 3/4″ pom poms to the top of the 1″ pom pom, creating the ears
3) Cut out two small arches from the pink felt, glue them to the front of the pom pom ears
4) Glue the 1/2″ inch pom pom to the front of the 1″ inch pom pom to create the snout
5) Glue the TINY pink pom pom to the 1/2″ pom pom to create a cute little nose
6) Glue the googly eyes above the snout, and relatively close together
7) Fold the pipe cleaner in half and twist together and shape into a cute tail
8) Cover the sharp end of the pipe cleaner with glue and attach to the back of the 2″ pom pom
I typically run these enrichments with 20-25 kids, so planning and preparation is key to a successfully run enrichment session. I recently discovered making kits before hand was very helpful in getting enrichment started. Just a helpful tip if you’ll be running this kind of activity with a large number of kids.
Thanks for reading.
-The Creative Kitten
“My mistakes make me beautiful”